Friday, November 21, 2008

Gods Army


I have a confession to make... I didn't think that Proposition 8 was going to pass. I don't think it was because I had a lack of faith. I think it was because of the law of nature...sheer numbers. I didn't think that that many people would even consider voting for Proposition 8.


Now came the day after the election. I was going about my daily business listening to the radio, discouraged. It seemed that everything Andrew and I had voted for was failing. The national news came on the radio. The words rang in my ears that Proposition 8 had passed. My heart leaped, tears came to my eyes. How could it be? I became excited. I immediately called Andrew at work. The news had made my day, and as I thought about it, something profound came to my mind. It made me think of the wars between the Nephites and the Lamanites. How many times were the Nephites outnumbered, not just by a little, but by huge amounts of people. Yet the Nephites still won. Why? It was their FAITH. They were obedient to what the Lord asked them to do. The saints in California were asked to do things that were very hard, physically and emotionally-- to give of their time and money.... to put God first. The saints fought a good fight and did what the Lord asked them to do, and the promised blessing followed.


“...for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”


As I have read of the aftermath and reaction, I am saddened by the hatred, yet lifted at the same time. I am thankful for the example of such great members in California. As I have seen the awful scenes at the temples, I thought that in that very place so many faithful prayers were said in behalf of the battle that was and is being fought. I take courage in the words of a Primary song:

I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints

I know who I am, I know Gods plan, I'll Follow Him in faith.

I believe in the Savior Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name.

I'll do what is right. I'll follow His light.

His truth I will proclaim!


I am proud to be a member of Jesus Christs church and know that He is at the head to lead us and guide us. Once again, it makes my heart leap and tears come to my eyes. It strengthens me to know that in this battle of good and evil, God will overcome. I will forever be on his side, firm and steadfast.


I am thankful to be alive at this time. I am humbled by the miracles that I have witnessed. Stand tall and strong, God will overcome all.

8 comments:

Flock of Lambs said...

Thanks Janeen, you are a beautiful person inside and out. It has been interesting nonetheless. It continues - I feel for Dad and the aftermath to come.

Hunt Family said...

Well said. I am glad to hear that even if for now it stands.

Hunt Family said...

Well said. I am glad to hear that even if for now it stands.

Hunt Family said...

Well said. I am glad to hear that even if for now it stands.

Hunt Family said...

Well said. I am glad to hear that even if for now it stands.

DeEtta said...

Janeen, that was beautiful.

Dillender said...

Thanks for your words Janeen. You have expressed many of my sentiments in the past month. I am thankful for a prophet who saw the need for the Proclamation over ten years ago.

Deborah said...

That was good to read. As Satan rages, the Church grows stronger and it is so neat to be a part of "God's Army" as your title says.

I was wondering if you could email me your address so I could send you a Christmas card:

d15family@verizon.net

~Deborah